Wednesday 25 November 2015

So damn hard....but worth it!

Feeling like a total “Newbie” walking onto the pool deck, barefoot in my jammers and latex cap now more than ever, in no way do I consider this 40 year old “Tri-able” , at least not yet.

            I catch myself looking across the lanes at all the different styles, abilities, and approaches I come to the realization that much like running, the goal in swimming is much in the same, to get from point A to point B. Then why is this so damn hard...

            Come on, I mean I consider myself a pretty active person. A sub 3:30 marathon runner who spends his days trying to inspire his students to live healthy, active lives only to come home and try to squeeze in a run somewhere in between the hectic life of a parent of 2 competitive swimmers. (sidenote; without our calendars in the cloud, my better half and I wouldn’t know who’s coming or going).   So why again, is this so damn hard…

            Trying to blow air out evenly (apparently holding your breathe is not recommended) so that I can gasp in as much air as I can when I look to the sky in my 2nd set of 50, I have to be true and honest with myself.  Running to me, is something that I love and has come, for the most part, quite easily (thanks genetics!).  However, the truth bomb hits when comprehending the fact that someone who leisurely rides his mountain bike with his family and swims out of his pool to get another margarita after winning a cannonball contest against his kids, does not make one a triathlete.  But the burning feeling and post-swim high I have right now screaming through my body from head to toe makes me want to become one. 
          


  And that’s why it’s so damn hard, because it’s so damn worth it… 


PS. Why am I so hungry? Is this a thing?  

No comments:

Post a Comment